Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Birthday, Lily!


Two years ago on November 24, 2007, I woke up at 1:30 a.m. and knew something was about to happen! We called David's mom to come stay with William and we headed off to the hospital. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I had been worried for weeks that I might go into labor on Thanksgiving, and would not be able to eat my Thanksgiving favorites (sad, huh?). I had made it through the holiday with all of my favorites and even some leftovers! This Saturday was not just two days after Thanksgiving, it was also the day of the Auburn-Alabama game. Needless to say, there was some apprehension over whether she would be here before the game. When I arrived at the hospital I was about 2 centimeters dilated. They felt like breaking my water would speed the process up and that I would have Lily in no time ( I think some of the staff wanted to get to watching the game!) . After hours of waiting and hardening contractions, I still had only progressed to 5 cm. They again, thought that in no time I would go ahead and be ready to deliver. The 7 cm mark, that I eventually reached, meant that I was close the 8 cm, which meant an epidural was almost completely unnecessary. So I waited, with no epidural, because I thought I didn't have time for one. After a few more hours of pitocin (which they also thought would only speed things up) I was ready to deliver. So were several other people. Needless to say, it was a LONG, HARD labor. After 20+ hours of labor and a couple hours of pushing, and NO pain relief whatsoever, Lily was born. She weighed 6 lbs. 11 oz. She had a head of light hair and a beautiful smile. Her big brother greeted her with homemade cupcakes to celebrate her "birth-day." Mommy was just glad to be ALIVE!
Today Lily is energetic, bright, funny, and still beautiful. She loves to laugh. She loves Elmo, Pooh, milk, pizza, girly things, big brother's toys, cake, brownies, jewelry, Handy Manny, Clubhouse Disney, Word World, the piano, singing, and listening to "Uncle Regi" play guitar and sing. She also loves her family, her baby brother Jo-Jo, her big brother Bubba, her babies (stuffed animals), her pink blankets, and so much more! She has funny names for some of the people in our family-why, we don't know! Uncle Jason is "Uncle Regi," Uncle Daniel is "Uncle Do-Do," Grammy is often "Nami" or "Nana," and of course there's "Seven." Gran is often "Gram" and Papa is "Papoo."
She is a joy everyday and a mess! We love being her parents and couldn't think of a better way to spend our lives, than loving and raising her to be a godly woman.

No comments: