Saturday, August 14, 2010

St. Simons Island-More Beaches!

These pics are of our favorite afternoon spot. We could get there from several accesses that were cool in and of themselves. The beach was cool because it had a tidal pool or dune pond-not sure which. I am pretty sure the pond was on the map, so it was at least semi-permanent. It would fill and empty each day with the tide. William's favorite memory of the trip is the day we thought we could take a short cut across the pond at low tide. WOW were we wrong! He got stuck ankle deep in mucky organic material that looked like mud. I went to get him to hurry on out of it and sunk down to right below my knee. When my foot came out, a rotten smell filled the air around me-it was gross! I guess that mud was full of living and decomposing stuff! I learned my lesson, William wanted to do it again.




If you look closely you can see the point where the pond drains into the ocean. This is at low tide. At high tide, there is a huge area of water dividing the beach into two parts. At the lowest point we saw it reach, the canal was only a couple of inches deep and easily crossed.

No comments: